V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if our powermaster chrome alternator can be purchased at an auto parts store. Like Pep Boys, Auto Zone, Auto Barn, or NAPA? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Lamont.
None of the local auto parts stores had one, but I found one at a local speed shop.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Don,

Why don't you have your old alternator rebuilt . Cost about $ $40.00 .

Jack

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jack,
I want to leave today (hopefully) for Myrtle Beach. Heard a noise on Weds, sounded like a bearing, so no time to rebuild. Seems OK now. Maybe I'll have the old one rebuilt for a spare. Thanks for the idea!! :D

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Don,

I'm not sure about how it works in your neighborhood, but here in Calgary there is a shop called Alberta Starter & Generator. I can bring my truck or bike there and they will rebuild my alternator, starter etc. right there while I wait. It only takes about an hour and I'm on the road again, with a 1 year warranty to boot.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Had mine rebuilt also somewhere inS.W USA. Works great. A little trick I was told some may not know. If your alternator is overcharging your battery it will boil the acid out so you can disconect the alternator by removing the single wire conected to it and keep on going for a bit. Just watch the alternator gauge and conect the alternator again when the voltage drops below 12 or 11 depending on how brave you are then connect it agin till the meter reads 14 and do the same thing over again if you have to. There is a point where youre battery is drained so low it will not be able to run the bike if the meter reads lower than 11 on my bike anyway. I had to do this a couple of times to get to a town and the last time I turned the bike off to connect the alternator the battery was to low to turn over the engine. Had a guy pull over and give me a boost that took me the last mile to town and stalled right in front of a garage. Turned out to be the right garage to fall into. The guy really new his stuff. But ofcourse me being who I am figured I Knew what needed fixing and had just part of a rebuild. And ofcourse it didnt work and had to come apart again to be repaired as per his specs. Worked like a charm though. My bike likes me to carry me that far when he wasnt feeling good.

Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts