V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:shock:
Well almost off it was hanging by the wires. Both screws had sheared off flush with the front forks. Both screws were still in the light and one was still holding the lower windshield mount.

The new style large detachable windshield uses a mount that goes between the headlight and the front forks. My guess is that the vibration of the windshield put a strain on the screws and caused them to shear off. I was lucky that I had taken the windshield off a couple of weeks ago, but I guess the damage was already done.

:?: Has anyone else had a problem like this with the new style detachable windshield ?

My trike was built by Mountain and has the large speedometer and tac on the handlebars. Because of this the Windvest windshield I tried would not work. Has anyone with the large Speedo and Tac mounted a Windvest or Memphis Shades windshield been able to mount them.

:?: What is the best way to remove the bits of the screw still left in the front forks ?

Mark

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Yes . My headlight bolts sheared off and my headlite fell onto the front fender as I went into a parking lot on a sunday morning in a small town with nothing open for parts except a huge grocery store. Mine held on by the wires also. I put whatever bolts they had on and continued.
I wonder weather the bolts that were in both our bikes were a higher grade bolt and would be more brittle because of hardness causing them to fail. Would someone with a little metalurgy info put their 2 cents in. I was a machinist for 8 years out of high school. You would think I would still have a clue.
Bill

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Mark,
Only way I know of to get the screws out is with an Easy Out. You can get them in a hardware store. If you're not familiar, first, you have to drill a hole in center of the sheared off screw with a drill bit that's a little smaller than the screw you're trying to remove. Then, the Easy Out threads into the hole you just drilled, It's a left hand thread on the Easy Out, so as you tighten it, turning it counter clockwise, it grabs into the sheared screw, and unscrews it. Take your time!!!

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I'm not sure if this is your problem or not but when I mounted my headlight I installed a couple of rubber washers between the headlight bracket and the bottom triple clamp . This way you don't have metal to metal contact . Also I don't think you should use hardened bolts . I used SS allen bolts with a chrome washer on the outside of the mount . Use blue locktite on the bolts .

Jack

1 - 4 of 4 Posts