V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 02 502 with 4k miles that has the 18 in wheels from Chopper City. The front is a 120 and the rear is 280. This is my fifth Boss and the first that sits lower due to decreased tire height. There were scrapes on the exhaust and the protective pan under the bike from the previous owner. Despite being careful, the bike bottoms out and scrapes very easily. I go slow over speed bumps and enter steep entrances at an angle etc. Does anyone else have this issue? The front forks cannot be adjusted any more to make the ride height taller and the rear shocks are at a good setting for me. The tire pressure is also correct.

The other problem I am having is a oil leak that is coming from the right valve cover. Even after a 10 mile ride there is a good amount of oil on the valve cover and the side panel. I have tightened the valve cover bolts and checked the condition of the PVC and grommet. My question is, can I try putting a bead of silicone around the grommet? and even though the check valve is moving inside the PVC could it still be bad allowing blow by? Thanks for any feedback. Bill

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Bill,

I run the CCS wheels and low profile tires and I scrape the pipes in turns...but not the pan. I would measure the distance between the bottom frame rail and ground to see how low it is sitting....something doesn't seem right.

Re your breather, my small block will blow some when cold, but I used pipe tape to wrap the breather tube to increas it's size & reduced to drip a bunch

Tim

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GRUMPY and Aussie Rob, thanks for the replies. Upon closer inspection it turns out It is just the pipes that are scraping not the pan. The scrapes on the pan are probably from hitting the floor of a trailer when loading. The shocks do not have any kind of lowering kit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
oil leak

I had the same oil leak then it start coming out the rear of the intake...
try to put oil in the left cover only to find out the grommet was solid where the breather is mounted .. the PVC valve was sucking oil out of the motorand over working the gaskets and seals.. GIZMO

·
Registered
838 Posts
JST2CRZY said:
The other problem I am having is a oil leak that is coming from the right valve cover. Even after a 10 mile ride there is a good amount of oil on the valve cover and the side panel. My question is, can I try putting a bead of silicone around the grommet? Bill
Bill,
many of us had or still have this small leak at the grommets. I think it was
Joe who posted a couple of years ago to wrap two or three layers of teflon
tape in the groove of the grommet. I did that, and no leaking oil
ever since. Just make sure the teflon tape stays in the groove while
putting the grommet in the valve cover. A baffled grommet couldn't hurt
either.

Loaf

·
Registered
624 Posts
Another 2 cents. If the PVC valve is not working correctly you can get extra pressure on those gaskets and seals. It sounds like you have more of a leak than this would present.
Glenn

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I tried several layers of teflon tape but it still leaked. I then used high temp silicone (copper color) and so far no leaks. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts