V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in the temps the 502's are running in the warm weather down South? Both at speed and in bumper to bumper traffic.

Doing some more projects to my trike, trying to get it to run cooler.

Thanks In Advance
Geezer

·
Registered
526 Posts
When I had my 502 it ran about 210 to 220 in stop and go at 95 but would cool to 180 to 200 on the highway! The tranny is what got hot but we put another cooler on behind the radiator so now I have 2. The 540 runs about 10 degrees cooler than the 502 all things being equal. :)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Geezer,
I'm in Virginia...not exceptionally hot, but 90-95 in the summer and humid! The following numbers are all related to the hottest of days:

My 2001 502, with the "smaller" factory 502 radiator runs 190-195 when running smooth at 50-60 MPH even with my manual fan switch at the off position. When I push it around 65 MPH and up I typically need to turn the fan on to keep the temps around around the 195-200 mark.

In bumper to bumper, on a hot day, I am usually at a minimum of 195 and as high as 210 if I'm stopped for long.

For what it's worth, I bought a set of the Baker Air Wings a couple of years ago and have gotten it down where I can install/remove them in about 3 minutes. They make quite a difference on a long ride/hot day. Not much in the looks department, but I bought the clear ones so they're not that noticeable. Their universal ones will bolt up easily to the side radiator shroud support tabs if you drill a hole for the single bolt. I cut the brackets down on mine by about 2" so they don't stick out as much. I also apply some electrical tape to keep them from slipping. Works great and directs the air right at my crotch/mid-section.

Form vs. Function...on the strictly function days these things are hard to beat for the breeze they create!

Keep us posted, Geez, on any progress you make in reducing temps! I know that Neil Webber is also working on this topic as well and has been for quite some time.

Bill

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Bill...Why oh why are you concerned about these temps when every damn car out there has a thermostat that runs them at 210 degrees all the time. I just don't get this ultra low temp thing.
Again....The lower your engine temp the more heat has to be dispersed via the radiator meaning more heat on you!!
The engine produces heat which is a constant at a given load, air temp and speed. That heat has to be either dissipated onto you or stay partially in the block. 210 degrees is just fine in the block. What in the name of common sense is the problem with running 200-210 degree temps with modern oils and motors engineered for these temps?
I've spewed this venom many times with NO cogent answer. Where does everyone think the heat is going when the motor is running cool? Onto you...that's where!
28,000 miles on my bike with the thin small block radiator sitting in traffic at 108 degrees and motor temps of 210 degrees many times with NO problems...ever! 220 would be OK with me also.
Just beating my gums again as usual...Joe

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Joe,
You and I have both posted about this issue before, AND IT CONFUSES THE HELL OUT OF ME!!!

Neil Webber swears that the rider will, in fact, be more comfortable with the engine water temps at 170/180 then he will be at 200/210. I'm no scientist so I can only go with my gut on this one. I CERTAINLY see your position and understand it...the engine runs cooler because the radiator is doing a better job of dispersing the heat...RIGHT ONTO THE RIDERS LEGS/CROTCH!!!!! Why then would the rider be more comfortable at 170/180?

HOWEVER, I can also see the opposing logic...while there might be "more" heat flowing past the rider (wider radiator, higher flowing water pump), it will be 170/180 degree heat, not 200/210 heat! Maybe it is better to have "more" lower tem air on you than "less" higher temp.

Your argument is why I haven't spent the money to upgrade to the "new" larger factory 502 radiator/water pump...yet. I'm afraid that I might be out $1200 and not be any more comfortable.

Neil, buddy...pal...help us all out with this one. Poor old Joe and I could use some help from any and all to understand this. PLEASE?!

It isn't an engine longevity or power issue for me...just a comfort issue.

Bill

·
Registered
838 Posts
Bill and Joe - this is not Neil, but I would like to tell my experiences. When I bought my bike it had the stock fan switch in it (170on/150off or such). The bike's fan was constantly on and blowing- not very hot, but loud as hell. Then I installed the 200on/185off Painless Wiring switch and the larger radiator just to stop this loud noise of the fan. As a result of the higher temp switch the engine's temps on my Boss are around 190 degrees most of the time- at least if I'm riding thru the city (160 degrees while highway riding, and 200 degrees on the Autobahn). I personly feel no difference between the (blowing) air temperature of my old setup and my new setup-but it blows far less than before, cause the fan is off mostly all the time now.

I think the heat which makes a Boss uncomfortable is coming from the headers- this is my experience at least. When I bought the bike I had a problem, which I wasn't aware of the first time- wrong ignition timing. Leading in such a high exhaust temperature burning deep scars in both of my legs after a one-hour ride in hot summer temps. I swear - that was really uncomfortable, and I'm glad that some header wrap, proper ignition timing and the use of manifold vacuum instead of ported vacuum solved this REAL heat-problem that well, that I could ride with shorts now. But again - I feel no difference in temps of the blown air of the fan compared old (170 degrees) and new (200 degrees) setup if the fan goes on...what's not very often now...and 200 to 210 degrees is fine for the engine as well...I see no problem.

Loaf

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Loaf...The fan switch is a different issue and I, too, have gone to a higher 195/180 switch which keeps the fan off most of the time. Kind of proves my point. The engine runs hotter and you stay cooler!...Joe

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Interesting theory........the temp thing.

I installed the higher limit fan switch at Sturgis last year. My water/engine temps went from 150/160 average to 180/190. I can tell the difference in the heat being transfered back to me by the block & radiator, but it is not a problem.

Seems to make sense that higher water temps are going to translate into higher block (metal) temps and will get transfered back onto the rider at some point. The real advantages of the higher limit switch is cutting down on the annoying fan noise and getting the engine operating closer to that optimum temperature for better performance and cleaner burning :lol:
Right???

Tim

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
You small block guys have got it made in the temp department!

Grumpy, you are trying to get the engine's temp up closer to it's optimum operating temp and I'm beyond where I would like it to be (even though I know that 190-210 is the optimum temp for combustion etc.).

The fan certainly can be a pain in the ass to listen to and the newer fan switch or an on/off switch like I use helps that alot. For the first two years with my 502 I went through the winters with my fan running constantly since the big block wouldn't run any cooler than 155-160 which didn't shut the fan off.

Bill

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Tim...look at it this way. Lets say a motor has a radiator that is able to offload x amount of heat per minute. A radiator twice that size will offload 2x amount of heat per minute thereby reducing the operating temp of the motor but only because it has offloaded twice the heat onto you per minute! Your house stays cool with a good air conditionig unit but put your hand over the unit outside and all that heat is being transferred to you. Same principle...Joe

·
Registered
838 Posts
Busa Dave said:
Riding a BH or any motorcycle in shorts? You are a tougher man than me!
BD,
I could ride with shorts if I would like to do it...
Never tried it, and probably never will, because my legs are white, fat, lots of pimples on them and too ugly at all. :lol:

·
Registered
526 Posts
V8soundlover said:
Busa Dave said:
Riding a BH or any motorcycle in shorts? You are a tougher man than me!
BD,
I could ride with shorts if I would like to do it...
Never tried it, and probably never will, because my legs are white, fat, lots of pimples on them and too ugly at all. :lol:
Bummer! I always ride in at least jeans,gloves,helmet and steel toed boots and unless it is just too hot my leather jacket! Only 2 kinds of riders those that have gone down and those that are going down. I am of the former and it aint fun! :cus:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Hey, Dave - stay relaxed. I said I've never ridden any of my motorcycles in shorts. :wink:

I'm not living in Italy - they use to ride with shorts and beach slides.
Last time I weared shorts I've been 8 years old..hehehe

Olaf

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the replys.

Seem as if my temps are in there with everyone else with a 502.

At cruise I usually run 160-170, but my concerns are in heavy traffic
when it hits 210. I realize nothing will be damaged at that temp, but
I would like to control it a little more.

With the blower, the cooler I can run the cylinders the more boost I can
run without C-16, which too expensive to run on the street.

But then again, I have never used all the HP on the street anyway. :?

Must be this dam, "Winter In Wisconsin" again.

Thanks Again
Geezer

·
Registered
526 Posts
V8soundlover said:
Hey, Dave - stay relaxed. I said I've never ridden any of my motorcycles in shorts. :wink:

I'm not living in Italy - they use to ride with shorts and beach slides.
Last time I weared shorts I've been 8 years old..hehehe

Olaf
:beer3: Kind of a funny day here--78 today 40's tomorrow!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts