V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Welcome....get it started, ride the crap out of it, then do a good service so that you know whats in it...clean lines, clean filters, new fuel and a carb that has no crap in it. Also, make sure the battery is good..sometimes it the stupid little things.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hey Rick,

We're all glad you found your way here and welcome to the world of V8's and fun.

But you have to tell us how you got involved with one of these V8 bikes. Tell us a story................Start with "Once upon a time"............:roflblack:

Bryan
Mine usually go something like this, I'm going to the store for some ice, I'll be back in a little while, Two days later, I'm home!!! Honey how do you like my new Bike!! or Truck!! or Dog!! :roflblack:

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
welcome

Rick:

:welcome: to the V8 Riders site, lots of good advice, and lots of fun.

Lot of really sharp guys on this site and a lot of goofy one also that will keep you laughing. :thumbup2:

Ciao
Giancarlo
Ride Smart

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
"Once Upon A Time"

All right, here's my story. Once upon a time, in the late 90's, I was on an overnight in Reno for my job. The annual motorcycle rally, I believe called "Street Vibrations", was going on. I walked downtown and there were about 2000 bikes parked in the streets and bikers everywhere. As I was looking at all the Harleys parked in rows, I came across a different looking bike. It was a Boss Hoss. As I was admiring it, the owner approached and told me he had ridden it all the way from Tennessee for the rally. I asked him to crank it up and he gladly complied. In a matter of seconds, we had a crowd of about 50 people standing around listening to it and admiring it. What a beautiful sound. I've wanted one ever since, but it was cost prohibitive. A couple months ago, I visited the Arizona Boss Hoss shop in Scottsdale, my first visit to a Boss Hoss shop. Three great guys work there, Frank, Chris, and Robert. The two used bikes in the small showroom were too expensive, but there was a 2002 torn apart in the garage for a carb rebuild with just 2200 miles on it. It was gummed up from non-use. I took it without seeing it assembled and think I got a good deal for $25,000, and don't care if I didn't - the bike is in showroom condition. I drove it to Wal Mart the other day and discovered a Boss still attracts a crowd. I had my own little mini-crowd around the parked bike as I emerged from the store and had lots of fun answering questions and letting them listen to the burble of the roller cam. Lots of fun and lots to learn about maintaining it. We've got our own rally just up the hill from where I live - in both spring and fall in Ruidoso, New Mexico, called Aspencade or Aspenfest and I hope to attend both this year. Perhaps I'll meet some of you there. I hope so. Rick

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Welcome aboard,Rick. I've been to the Ruidoso events many times.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I know my 2000 SB well because I've owned it for going on 11 summers and there's not much I haven't had apart , modified and in my opinion improved on . Because I know my components so well and what to look for if I have a problem I made up a typed out trouble shooting list as to what to look for and check starting with the simplest things all the way down to the most complex if my bike quits on the road or won't start . Believe me , it covers everything from the kill switch and petcock all the way down to the ignition module and beyond . I've been there standing on the side of the road scratching my head saying what should I check first if the problem is not real obvious . This trouble shooting list refreshes my memory as to what to check or test step by step and eliminate until I find the source of the problem and how to correct each step when I do find the problem . Sometimes we start checking things randomly because we are nervous especially if a crowd gathers around with all kinds of suggestions and this trouble shooting list keeps me on track until I find the problem and hopefully ride away . I have this list taped to the inside of my storage compartment lid so it's right there where I can read it while checking for the problem .

Jack

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
The last side of the road problem I had was my kill switch button and starter button wires in the handlebar housing fraying through after a long period of time. Lucky Tom and Adrian were at Street Vibes and Tom hotwired the bike so I could start it via using a screw driver across the starter terminals. I plan to put a wiring diagram in a plastic envelope velcro'ed to the inside of my side covers so I can access that puppy when I need a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
The last side of the road problem I had was my kill switch button and starter button wires in the handlebar housing fraying through after a long period of time. Lucky Tom and Adrian were at Street Vibes and Tom hotwired the bike so I could start it via using a screw driver across the starter terminals. I plan to put a wiring diagram in a plastic envelope velcro'ed to the inside of my side covers so I can access that puppy when I need a wiring diagram.
That is a must !!:agree:

Jack

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
Been There Done That

That's Funny !

1st Tour in Nam I crewed these:

You've got some guys on this board that flew Real Jets,

my only Ejection Seat Ride was a few years in these Girls:

I promised a Max of ONE MB Seat Ride, & landed a couple really sick Airplanes to avoid that Ride.
2nd Nam Tour I flew these:

& Desert Shield/Storm these:

That "Inverted...." liteney I believe is an Air Force Bar Song

Those Mohawks started getting really anemic around 24-25,000', + non-pressurized, we didn't carry enough O2 to pre-breath & complete a mission.

Hey Hawk: Sounds like you "been there done that" man!!! :yikes: http://www.snotr.com/video/1602

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys I'm in the UK
I have a 2001 small block hoss
Broke down Saturday gas problem, bought a new fuel pump still no joy, it runs but not for long took it up the road and stopped again, let it sit for 15 min started again, went up road stopped again let it sit for 25 then started again it appears to be getting no fuel, the bike has been in a garage for 11 years before I bought it so I'm thinking something not working as it should in carb

21 - 34 of 34 Posts