V8 Bike Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 BHC-3 (350/385 hp). It's in great shape and only has 2000 miles on it. I'm new to the bike and not knowledgeable of common problems. I'm having a problem starting it after it's been ridden for a while. The choke is wired off, supposedly for this very reason. Anybody have any suggestions or encountered the same problem? Thanks, I'd appreciate any advice you have. No dealership within 500 miles. Rick Carrier, Alamogordo, NM

·
Registered
163 Posts
Rick,

It would help to know more about what it's doing when you try to re-start it when warm, but I assume it's flooding out? My choke used to close, causing flooding, but if yours is wired open, that can't be it. Are you just hitting the starter without twisting the throttle - I hope? These generally don't need to be primed when warm, so make sure you are just hitting the starter until you need gas.

Make sure your choke is wired open correctly too. If it is slightly closed, that could cause a rich condition. Somewhere else on this tech board, someone mentioned about shutting the fuel off just before turning the bike off, slightly draining some of the gas in the line and preventing too much gas on startup. Just a thought.

You could always have carburetor Mike rebuild yours into a Stage II with no choke and solve your problem :lol:

I'm sure others will jump in here with more good info.

Brad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice!

Thanks, Brad. I'm not twisting the throttle. It's either a flooding or a vapor lock problem, I believe. I test drove it today and shut it off on three different occasions without a problem. I'll experiment with the fuel shut-off valve. It's a sick feeling when it doesn't start because it would take a team of mules to load that thing on a trailer.

Could you give me a little info on Carburetor Mike and what a stage II carb is? Rick

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
There have been some fuel pumps that would go to an OVER Pressure condition when they got hot.......This would flood it out, but when it cooled off for awhile, it would run normally because the pressure is back to normal.

I have also seen some strang things happen because of ignition modules.

Also, lots of folks sometimes forget to put the KILL SWITCH into the RUN position :wink: plaese don't ask how I know this.:roflblack:

If you think it's flooded, turn the fuel valve ALMOST OFF and try it.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
It could be vapor lock or it could be your float level is set too high and gas is trickling into the carb as it sets leaning on the kickstand . Make sure all of your fuel lines are zip tied up to the frame as high as you can get them and not laying on the engine .

I have a manual choke on my Stage II Edelbrock . Here in N.Y. state there are plenty of cool days when I need my choke and it starts much easier in cool weather with the manual choke . This allows me to utilize the fast idle option on the carb also .

Jack

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Mine used to flood and was almost impossible to start. The Quadrajets/Edlebrocks have plugs in the bottom of the carb body that tend to leak when they get old. It is a very common malady. I removed the carb, took off the base plate and epoxied the plugs. It has started perfectly, every time, since. There are, certainly, other things that can be done to improve these carbs, but the leaky Welch plugs seem to be a universal problem

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
IF it gets flooded and your sure it is flooded
open that go thing on the right handlebar
all the way open. This will let air get in there
to mix with the gas that is already in there.

Paul H

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
As far as tying off the choke, I took off all of the choke related stuff and chucked it. Don't need it in sunny SoCal

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Rick,
What do you do to get it started again?
Usually if it's a vapor lock problem, you have to wait until it cools down for a while.
If it's a flooding problem, you should be able to smell gas fumes.
It would help if you can be more specific.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Rick Congratulations

On the new bike! and joining the forum! Your in good company here:thumbup2: My fuel delivery systems all gave me trouble at first, Mainly because the bikes had been sitting for so long, and all the in line components had that coating of varnish. Carb had to be rebuilt. New filters a must. Plus everything the guys have already said now ring so true for me, some great advice! Alamogordo at your elevation can be cold this time of year so a good working choke could come in handy. But normally two good throttle pumps on my first start of the day is all I need now.:congrats:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Advice Much Appreciated!

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to advise. To answer some questions: Carb was rebuilt by AZ Boss Hoss prior to purchase. The only way I could get it started when this happened was to let it sit for an hour. It wasn't the "kill" switch, but I'll pull that stunt sometime. I'm pretty sure it was flooded, even though I always turn the fuel lever off when parking it. There was a faint smell of petrol. As all of you know, there's enough fuel in the lines to start and run for quite a while with the fuel lever in the off position, so plenty to flood the carb with a malfunction. I'll check out the fuel lines and zip tie high as advised. I'll also try turning the fuel lever almost off if it happens again, and cranking the throttle wide open. Varnish in the lines could be a problem, as the bike has been used very little in the past 8 years (2200 miles). The leaky Welch plugs sound like a definite possibility. There's a lot of expertise on this forum and I appreciate being allowed to join. Lots to learn. Rick

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Rick,
Glad you're here!

As I'm sure you already know, problems such as this can only be one of three things (Gas, Air or Spark). Definitely sounds like a gas problem.

I would recommend that you talk to Carburetor Mike ASAP and highly recommend that you get him your carb for a rebuild. He is our resident Boss Hoss / Edelbrock Carb expert and will solve your problem! He rebuilt my carb last year and I'm VERY pleased. He has done many carbs for people on this board and I've never heard anything but the highest praise for his work. Email me at [email protected] for his phone number, or wait here for a bit longer and I'm sure he will see your post soon.

Good Luck!

Bill

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Hey Rick, Welcome home! Almost two years ago I was in a similar bind with starting issues, 'electrical gremlins' and such... these cats have quite a few years of 'busted knuckles, and side-of-the-road frustrations they got through. Lot's of intel here, my friend. Yes indeed. You keep checking out the technical posts below the General forum... if you post any tech questions on the tech post area... you'll get a flood of responses sooner. Good to see you here! Maybe pics of your bike may show up soon? Some of these guys can help you post pics and such as well.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Rick: As some of the guys have said, Some of these bikes when hot or even warm are very easy to flood. Just cracking the throttle while moving the bike around was enough to flood my carb. Then as Paul H said Just open the throttle all the way while cranking it over, That gives it more air and clears things out some. Once you get things dialed in, well you know, Hope this helps..

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Hey Rick,

We're all glad you found your way here and welcome to the world of V8's and fun.

But you have to tell us how you got involved with one of these V8 bikes. Tell us a story................Start with "Once upon a time"............:roflblack:

Bryan

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Hey Rick,

We're all glad you found your way here and welcome to the world of V8's and fun.

But you have to tell us how you got involved with one of these V8 bikes. Tell us a story................Start with "Once upon a time"............:roflblack:

Bryan

Bryan, we all know that any good story will start off with, "there I was, thought I was going to die" :roflblack:
CR

1 - 20 of 34 Posts