2006 erratic speedometer

Thread: 2006 erratic speedometer

Default 2006 erratic speedometer

Anyone had problems with their Autometer electronic speedometer. Mine works fine from 25MPH and up. However at idle and up to 25, the needle is all over the place and it stacks up miles on my trike when it is really going nowhere. Needle jumps up to 120 and back to whatever and then back to zero. Any ideas? Thanks, Jim McDonald Canton, Ga

2. Remove Advertisements
    V8BikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

Veteran Member

Check the air gap of the speed sensor to the reluctor. I am guessing it is too far away, not sure of a specification at the moment, but also check it all the way around to make sure it doesn't get too close and hit. I know many years ago I had issues like yours and had to adjust the sensor, but also sometime after that my speedometer completely failed and I had to have it replaced. So hopefully the simple adjustment will help.

Quote Originally Posted by SRF View Post
    Check the air gap of the speed sensor to the reluctor. I am guessing it is too far away, not sure of a specification at the moment, but also check it all the way around to make sure it doesn't get too close and hit. I know many years ago I had issues like yours and had to adjust the sensor, but also sometime after that my speedometer completely failed and I had to have it replaced. So hopefully the simple adjustment will help.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to get to the sensor. I think it is supposed to be set at .004 according to a 2006 service manual. Thanks again.