V8 Bike Riders Forums banner

Squeeking Brakes

10K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Stoneciphes 
#1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has encountered a problem with brakes squeeking when they're not being used. I have an annoying squeek on my 2002 Hoss which can even be heard over the sound of the engine when traveling at low speeds. Both brakes do it, but especially the front brake. I've tried brake cleaner to no avail. It's not a steady squeel, but a pulsating squeek. Quickly applying the front brake will sometimes stop it, but eventually it returns. The brakes don't squeel when applied. I sound like an old truck. Rick

#2 ·
welcome to the site Rick,,
might not be your issue, but hoss seems to use small washers for alignment of the calipers to the rotor. if you eye the caliper on the rotor it should be centered.
if not you might need to center it with some small washers between the caliper and the mount, it will take a little trial fit to get correct.
hope it helps.

Darryl

#5 ·
Squeaking brakes are actually caused by vibration. There are silicone products that you can apply to the backs of the pads that act as a cushion between the pad and the piston. Back in the 70s, we used plain old RTV. You can also slightly bevel the edges of the pads, removing the sharp corner where the sides and the faces meet

#8 ·
Ric, sorry my reply is so delayed. I haven't been on the forum in a long time - busy with my airplane jobs. No, not a refrig tech - a retired Air Force pilot/airline pilot, now flying corporate. My bike started dying at idle speeds during the last two rides and I returned to the forum to seek help. You guys are a great grouip! Rick Carrier email rickcarrier@tularosa.net

#11 ·
I am seriously loosing my mind with the squeaking brakes. It is so loud I actually avoid using my front brakes. I have taken the following pictures. Does anyone notice anything obviously wrong that I don't see? The discs are centered with the seam of the calipers. The pads seem good. The discs appear to be true.

Attachments

#12 ·
You might want to give Marv at Chopper City a call to get his input. My first BH, a 2000 model, had the same issue albeit maybe not as bad as you're describing. (Regardless - squeaking brakes are maddening. Any of us enjoy getting attention with our unique machines - but not that kind of attention).

Marv switched the setup on mine to floating rotors and the problem went away. Not sure what all that entailed, but I know he had to fabricate brackets to hold the calipers in the proper alignment (I believe the floating rotors are larger diameter than the early stock rotors). Obviously it wasn't the least expensive approach to be taken, but for me it was worth it (I don't recall the cost) and it put the final nail in the squeak coffin.

Here's a picture where you can see the rotors:

Attachments

#13 ·
Interesting , I was under the impression that the floating rotors weren't compatible with the Wilwood front calipers . I don't has squeaking brakes but I may consider this upgrade on my 2000.

#14 ·
There is a different part number of the
Wilwood brake paid that works better.
There is also some thin padding that
can be cut and placed between the
brake pads and piston. It works well.
Someone else hopefully will know the
name of the stuff and maybe even
a part number.

Paul H

#15 ·
Mine have brand new Wilwood components and pads, and new rotors too. They squeak like a rat factory. I've asked around, and it just seems to be the nature of the beast.

I keep the squeak to a minimum by applying my rear brakes first, then adding the fronts. When I finally slow down enough with both brakes applied, I just let off the front and use the rears to stop me. Once I'm stopped I re-apply the fronts until I'm ready to go. It doesn't solve it 100% but it does help a lot.

But then, I have drum brakes on the rear. Don't know if it would do you any good at all. You could try it, I guess?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.