Trike Steering Dampers

Thread: Trike Steering Dampers

Default Trike Steering Dampers

For those interested, I installed dual steering dampers on my 2006 Willys Trike and it made all the difference in the world on the low speed wobble. Boss Hoss still sells the fork brackets and when used in combination with the Shindy 375MM dampers sold through JP Cycles, results are amazing.DHTX5140 (1).jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    V8BikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

I wish some one come up with a power steering kit for the Boss trike. My 2010 has the upgraded tree's which helps with the Wobble, but my left shoulder and arm are now so bad, that I can't push or pull the left handlebar to steer. I drove only 200 miles all of 2019, will probably have to sell the trike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbee-o View Post
    I wish some one come up with a power steering kit for the Boss trike. My 2010 has the upgraded tree's which helps with the Wobble, but my left shoulder and arm are now so bad, that I can't push or pull the left handlebar to steer. I drove only 200 miles all of 2019, will probably have to sell the trike.
    Yep, power steering would be great. I am age 80 and the trike was giving my shoulders a workout at low speed. Dampers sure helped.

5. Remove Advertisements
    V8BikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

Contributor

Hi, I rode Hosses for 15 years, and had to give them up about 5 years ago. Went to the Can Am Spyder, which has power steering, and couldn't believe how easy it was to handle. If one arm gets tired you can drive it with the other I had the 5 speed clutch machine, but if I was going to get a different one I would go with the push button shift. They are fast, light and fun. I kept my HOSS V8 plate on it.
    HOSS V8

I might have to go with your option if I want to keep riding, never thought I would be so crippled up at age 69.

I might have to go with your option if I want to keep riding, never thought I would be so crippled up at age 69.
    Know the feeling brother.

Default Steering damper from J & P Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonaldroadcapt View Post
    For those interested, I installed dual steering dampers on my 2006 Willys Trike and it made all the difference in the world on the low speed wobble. Boss Hoss still sells the fork brackets and when used in combination with the Shindy 375MM dampers sold through JP Cycles, results are amazing.DHTX5140 (1).jpg
    Do you happen to have the part number to that Shindy 375 mm steering damper? Do you have to have two (dual) of them to work properly, or will just one do the job? A photo of the dual steering dampers installed on your trike would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    Last edited by Ron Radulski; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Radulski View Post
    Do you happen to have the part number to that Shindy 375 mm steering damper? Do you have to have two (dual) of them to work properly, or will just one do the job? A photo of the dual steering dampers installed on your trike would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    Sorry for the overdue reply. The JP Cycle part number is 17-023 and yes, I did duals. One just won't do the job. The two work very well. Will not take out all wobble but great improvement. I drilled and tapped the hole in the neck to mount the body of the shocks. Drill as low on the neck as possible for more range on the shock base.. Jim McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonaldroadcapt View Post
    Sorry for the overdue reply. The JP Cycle part number is 17-023 and yes, I did duals. One just won't do the job. The two work very well. Will not take out all wobble but great improvement. I drilled and tapped the hole in the neck to mount the body of the shocks. Drill as low on the neck as possible for more range on the shock base.. Jim McDonald
    I think there must be something radicaly wrong to need two stabilizers to correct a wobble .
    Jack ......2000 Boss Hoss 350/400 HP

RIDE IT LIKE YOU KNOW HOW TO FIX IT

Quote Originally Posted by HogV8 View Post
    I think there must be something radicaly wrong to need two stabilizers to correct a wobble .
    Not really. Slow speed wobble can be a common experience on a trike. Harley even puts steering stabilizers on factory Harley trikes now. On my Hoss, those big dual wheels, after flat spotting a few days parked, always cause a slow speed wobble until rounded out again. Above 20 MPH all wobble disappears. Well pleased with the dual stabilizers as they work well together due to their small size.

Veteran Member

The single damper I have is adjustable.
    It has 5 setting and I think I'm on #4.
    That's on my 2000 trike with the more
    rack fork clamps.

Paul H
    WELLLLLLLLLL La De Da