Holley Sniper Updates

Thread: Holley Sniper Updates

Contributor

Default Holley Sniper Updates

So i tried to test fit the holley sniper throttle body on my 2004 small block. No go, frame rails are too close. So I ordered a new, shorter intake manifold (edelbrock torker II) and am awaiting the throttle cable bracket from holley so i can mount the entire unit sideways. I'll keep everyone posted and put up some pictures when i make some progress. So far, I just put my bike back together so I can ride it while i wait for parts.

2. Remove Advertisements
    V8BikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMFjr View Post
    So i tried to test fit the holley sniper throttle body on my 2004 small block. No go, frame rails are too close. So I ordered a new, shorter intake manifold (edelbrock torker II) and am awaiting the throttle cable bracket from holley so i can mount the entire unit sideways. I'll keep everyone posted and put up some pictures when i make some progress. So far, I just put my bike back together so I can ride it while i wait for parts.
    How ever did you adapt to only only 400 hp under your crotch! lol

<br>

5. Remove Advertisements
    V8BikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

Just a heads up, if the Torker II doesn't work, the Weiand Xcelerator is a bit lower. It is the only intake I can run on my bike.
    Furthermore, the MSD Atomic is the smallest EFI TB I could find.
    1998 Wild One Custom

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by HossZZ4 View Post

Lol that was my old man, his 434 was nuts, but he sold me the 350 he had sitting in his garage.

Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Just a heads up, if the Torker II doesn't work, the Weiand Xcelerator is a bit lower. It is the only intake I can run on my bike.
    Furthermore, the MSD Atomic is the smallest EFI TB I could find.

I've perused your build thread, thought about the atomic but i like the "all in one" idea of the sniper. Barrie got his to fit on his trike, so hopefully with my limited mechanical knowledge i can make it fit.

I've perused your build thread, thought about the atomic but i like the "all in one" idea of the sniper. Barrie got his to fit on his trike, so hopefully with my limited mechanical knowledge i can make it fit.

The MSD is also "all in one" ... but i have no favoritism to the MSD at all, I bought it because it was the only one that fit. Its ability to take boost also helped. You probably saved over $1000 going with the Sniper, but it is a larger TB to try to fit. I would have rather run a Holley Terminator, but it wouldn't fit.

The Torker II is 1/2" higher than the Weiand Xcelerator... so not an insignificant amount at all. And if you're even a little hard pressed for space, what were your plans for a filter?
    1998 Wild One Custom

Contributor

So I have test fitted the Torker II with the sniper, it's a no go for now. If I mount it sideways with an adapter plate I may have enough room still to fit between the frame rails. Issue with it going sideways might be the throttle linkage hitting the intake. I'm probably going to buy the weiand intake to gain that extra half inch of clearance and go from there. Might have to shave the linkage a little bit. Unfortunately its a sunday and I won't be able to get what I need until at least tomorrow.I'll have to piece it together with whatever will fit. More updates to follow.

For a filter I found an edelbrock piece that I think will fit, it's only a 6" x 2.5" filter.

Do you have any pix of the manifold/frame/FI unit interface? I am seriously considering one of these units. I have battled carburertor issues, since day one. Three rebuilds by three experts and still problems. Brand new Holley Quadrajet replacement carb. Still no good. Hydrolocked a cylinder and bent a rod. What part of the unit fouls the frame? With a proper offset adapter, could it be slid over a tad to clear or is the entire FI too wide to fit between the rails? I have a lathe and a mill so I could fab up an adapter if needed. I have the bike torn completely down, right now, so it is a good time to throw more $$$$$$ at the damned thing
    IT'S POSSIBLE, THAT THE ONLY REASON FOR YOUR EXISTENCE, IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS

Contributor

This is it sideways, lots of room but it needs to come up so the linkage doesn't touch the intake at the front. Probably need to run a 90* fitting off the return to make it work and run a shorter intake with a sideways mounting adapter plate to make it all work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Contributor

With a slightly shorter intake a couple 45* fittings, I think it would work to run it the correct way. Like I said though, I'll grab that other intake and see what works easiest. Nice thing about the sniper is the 3 inlet options.

Contributor

If anyone had any other ideas, I'm absolutely open to them so feel free to chime in.

Contributor

Got the fuel system routed while I wait for my intake. Went back and through the trunk, pre filter beside the battery, pump and post filter in the trunk. Yes it's zip tied, the .... else am I gonna do. Also got the o2 bung welded on and installed.

If anyone had any other ideas, I'm absolutely open to them so feel free to chime in.
    I will let you do the R&D. Then I will tweek the results to suit my bike. I will claim all the credit, but I will blame you if anything goes wrong.
    That's how I roll
    IT'S POSSIBLE, THAT THE ONLY REASON FOR YOUR EXISTENCE, IS TO SERVE AS A WARNING TO OTHERS

Contributor

Test fit with the weiand xcelerator looks good. Commencing ....ery.

Contributor

so the xcelerator has no coolant sensor opening. I guess I will have to find a different way to sense my coolant. Also, these nubs have to come off for the motor mounts to go back on, for the love of god do it before you put it on the bike. That was no fun. Lots of garbage bags and a shop vac.

Contributor

I marked the frame, rotor and base of the distributor to get the timing back in correctly. Your oil pump may turn anyway but if you just seat your distributor down on it over and over it will eventually turn back to the right orientation. Took me 5 minutes of pulling it out and putting it back in, which is the longest I've done that in a while lol.

Contributor

Got it mounted up. You need a 6an x 3/8 90* fitting for the return line, orient it down and to the left side. Also a 6an x 3/8 45* for the feed side, oriented straight back and down. Once it's on you have to put the studs into the carb mount flange, god help you if you have to take them back out but I oiled them anyway. figured out the coolant sensor issue, put the stock one in one head and extended the wire, put the sniper one in the other head.
    I'm not going to run the sniper ignition timing so I cut and killed those wires. Just the rest of the wirin to go and some plumbing for the return line then it should start.

Contributor

You'll need a special tool to get those plugs out of the heads, I made one with a 3/8 extension a grinder. Tapered it down and made it smaller, pound it in with a hammer.

weiand.jpgAren't those coolant sensor holes, on each side of the thermostat housing???

Contributor

Had to modify the throttle cable bracket and I ground the throttle stop off the linkage. Then had to washer up the bracket to clear the valve cover.

Contributor

Yes they are, one is where the fan switch goes in. The other is too big for the coolant sensor.

Contributor

It runs boys. Too late to take it out for a spin but it started and idled! Stoked.

Contributor

Learn from my mistakes. Do not skimp on the gasket maker when putting the new intake on. Will try to fix without pulling it all apart.

Contributor

Going to shorten the fuel line between the fuel pump out and the post filter, it's running too far back and my trunk latch is hitting the hose.

Yes I've been updating this as I go so that you get all the little dirty details that I might miss if I waited till I was done. Hope it's not too annoyingnof a thread.

Use the Ford TA-31 gray RTV sealant. Best stuff on the market

Contributor

I already had the permatex right stuff black, going to leave it overnight at least and see if that does it. Shouldn't be a lot of pressure in that crankcase so I don't see why it wouldn't hold.

Yes they are, one is where the fan switch goes in. The other is too big for the coolant sensor.

reducer.jpg

Contributor

Lol yeah I know they exist I just didn't have any, and I kinda like the idea of using the coolant passages in the head anyway, I feel like it's a more accurate way of sensing temperature.

Everything is done now, waiting overnight for my gasket maker to set, then I'll go for a ride and see how it performs.