Rear suspension 2009 trike Sierra

Thread: Rear suspension 2009 trike Sierra

Site Sponsor

Default Rear suspension 2009 trike Sierra

This morning I drove 2 hours to pick up a used 2009 Sierra trike from a fellow a couple hours from me. Only has 2,000 miles. He sold it because he said it rode too rough for the province he lived in...they do have way worse roads than ours so I figured it was Ok for here.

I never rode it at all just gave him the cheque and loaded it in the trailer and came home. He did not say it was "unrideable" the way it was..but it is. I unloaded it from the trailer andwent on it to my son's across town for Mother's day brunch and I was horrified. Honestly...I am not sure a wagon could ride any rougher!! This trike has factory air ride...not sure of the manufacturer..air ride schmair ride...!!!!!

I looked underneath and there are no other shocks on it..like the ones I removed from the 32 and replaced with straps...just the air ride shocks and no straps..you can see the mounts for the second shock that is usually there but whoever put the trike together at the dealer in the US took off the second shocks or maybe that is the way they come from the factory if air ride is installed...I don't know.

It is very very harsh over expansion joints in town...seriously...I only went a mile or so to Joshs and got hammered. I spent about 20 minutes after lunch on a side street near the shop...driving a block...then bumping the air by 5 lbs and driving back the same block...good test I figure...there was not a noticeable difference in how it handled the expansion cracks from 15 lbs to 68 lbs.

This trike was/is for the Radio promotion and needs to be rideable RIGHT AWAY...I can't put anybody on it to take it to events for me the way it is.

I have very little experience with Boss Hoss trikes so I need input ASAP...

Could there be a problem with the air ride??

Can I replace the air shocks with the stock Boss Hoss coil overs that were on the 32 ??

Another brand of air ride at moocho $$$...
    Barry aka CanuckHoss

www.destinationcycles.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    V8BikeRiders.com
    Advertisements

The Legend air ride on a BH trike sucks. The Arnott air ride is so much better,it's not even funny.
    Clint & Sherry Hooper
    2006 57 Chevy Boss Hoss trike (sold)

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Clint44 View Post
    The Legend air ride on a BH trike sucks. The Arnott air ride is so much better,it's not even funny.
    Clint...was it as bad as I am describing???
    Barry aka CanuckHoss

Veteran Member

Barry, IF you have stock BH shocks from a 32 trike
    putting them on would be the quickest and cheapest
    fix. IF the strapes work for others with stocks shocks
    than it should ride OK for you. I'd go stocks trike shocks
    and limiting strapes.

Paul H
    WELLLLLLLLLL La De Da

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckHoss View Post
    Clint...was it as bad as I am describing???
    Yep,it is. Since you're short on time,I'd take Paul's advice.
    Clint & Sherry Hooper

This sounds like an opportunity to sell the radio guys a nice trailer!

Veteran Member

Default Trailer

Barry if you're considering a trailer please look at
    Mullins. Very good looking and reasonable priced.
    BH factory had BH trailers on display but at 5-6
    grand I'm not interested. The Mullins can be had
    at 2-2,500 It just doesn't come with wheels or tires.

Paul H
    WELLLLLLLLLL La De Da

Yea Barry

I have think I still have two chrome damping shocks , if you need them.

You will still need the regular ones also.

Free... you pay shipping and beer
    Norm

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Barry, IF you have stock BH shocks from a 32 trike
    putting them on would be the quickest and cheapest
    fix. IF the strapes work for others with stocks shocks
    than it should ride OK for you. I'd go stocks trike shocks
    and limiting strapes.

Paul H
    Paul...I don't have any spare trike shocks..will get a price on new ones tommorrow.

Dave..sell them a trailer?? that would work....but the plan was to get some of our friends / customers who wanted a ride and a few hours of fame somewhere ride it to the events..thus created a portable billboard.

Man I hate when sheet like this happens..

Stu...can you add input here as far as how your stock Sierra rides around here and on expansion joints??
    Barry aka CanuckHoss

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by NormV8 View Post
    Yea Barry

I have think I still have two chrome damping shocks , if you need them.

You will still need the regular ones also.

Free... you pay shipping and beer
    Norm..

It is the regular ones I need...thanks...buy you a beer anyways!!!!

Did you have air ride on your 502 and was it way better than what I am describing? I am guessing the answer is YES because you would have never made Canada with the ride this one has..crap..you would never have left your city!!
    Barry aka CanuckHoss

Norm..

It is the regular ones I need...thanks...buy you a beer anyways!!!!

Did you have air ride on your 502 and was it way better than what I am describing? I am guessing the answer is YES because you would have never made Canada with the ride this one has..crap..you would never have left your city!!

I did not have air!!! The ride was ok. The new Boss Hoss trike rides great.
    Norm

Veteran Member

Default Trike shocks

Barry, I think I've seen trike shocks on eBAY.
    Listed to sell at $300 or bid at $250. The seller
    only has a 97% approval and is located in Ia.
    I follow eBAY BH parts every day.

Paul H
    WELLLLLLLLLL La De Da

Barry: You need to put the air on untill the Trike comes up 3-4" and stops going up. With the Legend Air Shock the pressure reads wrong until it goes up to about 70 psi and then then the body comes up, and the pressure will start to fall off. You need about 50-55 lbs pressure after the body comes up.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Redneck View Post
    Barry: You need to put the air on untill the Trike comes up 3-4" and stops going up. With the Legend Air Shock the pressure reads wrong until it goes up to about 70 psi and then then the body comes up, and the pressure will start to fall off. You need about 50-55 lbs pressure after the body comes up.
    Johnny,

I tried it at all settting 5 lbs apart from 15 or 20 lbs and all the same...I definitely felt the trike rise as you say with no difference in ride quality.

If I am understanding right..you are saying that when you hit the pressure "up" switch until it reads about 70 lbs then it will actually start showing less lbs even though you are pressuring it up?? that sounds weird unless I don't follow.. at 70 lbs when 2 of tried to push down on the rear body of the trike it was almost impossible to make it move...at 35 lbs we could make it seem to act like shocks at least a bit
    Barry aka CanuckHoss

Barry, I was just being a smart ass with my sell em a trailer comment. I never rode a Boss Hoss trike with an air ride but the the other ones I've ridden that had stock shocks were ok. I have Arnotts on my bike and think they're great. I think Clint has them on his trike and likes them a lot. Cheapest and quikest way out of your problem is probably to just bolt some stock shocks on it, it should be good enough.

Sounds like the Arnotts air shocks are working out the best. But I must say it was nice to have my stock Aldans off my 06 BB repaired for free this week, Now thats a warranty. http://www.aldaneagle.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    But It's a dry heat !!

Roy, the only thing that could be better than that is to not have to have needed any repairs in the first place. I see that most guys on this board are completely happy with sending their shocks to Alden and having a different spring put installed which makes it ride great for them. Another thing is that everybody seems to be treated good by them. On my Arnotts I push a button and add or subtract air as needed depending on how fat I am at the time, they work great and ride great and for three years have never even leaked.

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by SQ4MN View Post
    Barry, I was just being a smart ass with my sell em a trailer comment. I never rode a Boss Hoss trike with an air ride but the the other ones I've ridden that had stock shocks were ok. I have Arnotts on my bike and think they're great. I think Clint has them on his trike and likes them a lot. Cheapest and quikest way out of your problem is probably to just bolt some stock shocks on it, it should be good enough.
    Dave...funny thing about the trailer comment is that it is an actual option. I thought they would be able to take possesion of the trike with my dealer plate and take it whereever the heck they wanted with a licenced motorcycle driver...and leave me out of it as I don't have time. They informed me that the top honchos won't let anyone of their staff ride it for insurance reasons...dangit!! So now I have to get it to and from events. But like I said the trailer option would be good..they could pull it behind the Mustang they are giving away.

Also...with advice from here and others I have ordered stock shocks to replace the airride and also the limiting straps.. It should be good to go.

The fellow that I just bought the trike from bought it in the late fall of 2010 from a friend of mine and never started riding until spring last year. He called about the rough ride and I actually asked on here I beleive for advice and I then told him to play with the pressure. I never heard back until the fall when he informed me that the trike was near me and for sale. Reason being he found it too rough and attributed it to the rougher roads where he lived. Had he told me exactly what he thought at the time...that the trike was a friggin wagon...like I felt driving it yesterday then I think I would have pursued getting something changed with him and he would have probably kept it. He said he loved everything about the trike except the ride. So you never know...in our talk today I told him to stop in this summer and ride it again....maybe he will buy it back after the promotion.

Thanks for everyone's input.
    Barry aka CanuckHoss

Dave, I hear you there. It was only my right side shock that lost it's seal and pucked oil. But I sent both in. No questions asked. I haven't heard of any Arnotts needing any repairs. Have You? Still got the Briford brake sitting here. Get around to it one of these day. We got some work coming up out your way. Just waiting for all the radios to arrive. I give you a call then and try and stop by for a visit. Ok? http://www.amaproracing.com/ft/events/
    But It's a dry heat !!

The fellow that I just bought the trike from bought it in the late fall of 2010 from a friend of mine and never started riding until spring last year. He called about the rough ride and I actually asked on here I believe for advice and I then told him to play with the pressure. I never heard back until the fall when he informed me that the trike was near me and for sale. Reason being he found it too rough and attributed it to the rougher roads where he lived. Had he told me exactly what he thought at the time...that the trike was a friggin wagon...like I felt driving it yesterday then I think I would have pursued getting something changed with him and he would have probably kept it. He said he loved everything about the trike except the ride. So you never know...in our talk today I told him to stop in this summer and ride it again....maybe he will buy it back after the promotion.
    If that trike had been equipped with Arnott air ride,I seriously doubt we would be having this conversation. When we purchased our trike in 2008,it would jar your teeth out on certain roads. Sherry and I rode it to Paris 2008 and it was so bad,we were actually dreading the return trip. Arnott had a show special so we thought "What do we have to lose?" and had their air ride system installed. The ride home was literally a night & day difference,,like riding on a soft pillow. Our Arnott's have been on the trike since September 2008 and have been trouble-free,so far.
    Last edited by Clint44; 05-14-2012 at 10:58 PM.
    Clint & Sherry Hooper

Site Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Clint44 View Post
    If that trike had been equipped with Arnott air ride,I seriously doubt we would be having this conversation. When we purchased our trike in 2008,it would jar your teeth out on certain roads. Sherry and I rode it to Paris 2008 and it was so bad,we were actually dreading the return trip. Arnott had a show special so we thought "What do we have to lose?" and had their air ride system installed. The ride home was literally a night & day difference,,like riding on a soft pillow. Our Arnott's have been on the trike since September 2008 and have been trouble-free,so far.
    So what in the name of SamHill is wrong with the Legends that they are so bad?????
    Barry aka CanuckHoss

Veteran Member

I can see your trepidation on this one Barry. How can two brands of air shocks differ so much? Pressure them up, BOTH should be like riding on cloud 9!! I suspect that it might be a design issue on how the air is distributed throughout the shock to cushion, or to pre-load a return. I see a HUGE difference between Johnston Controls Air pressure valves, and Honeywell Air pressure valves in my trade, and still ponder over the engineering of both sets of controls not being that much different. (Honeywell is far more superior and accurate). I guess we can also suggest that it might be the difference in the engineering of a Carby mike Stage II set up, and a Demon Carb. No contest!

Although I have zero hours on a trike, certainly doesn't qualify me to comment on this thread, only by brand comparison would I suggest you consider any of my comments.

You sound like you are investing in a more cost effective solution, by way of stock suspension. I can certainly dig that.... many trike owners seem to be fine with their stock setup, I'm reading now and again.
    "Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Site Sponsor

Ric...the stock setup on the 32 Coupe I sold Gilas friend was not bad at all...did a 4 hour ride with Bryan's group one Thursday and I had no major bumps hurt my back in any way...when I took off the other set of shocks and added the limiting straps the ride seemed quite a bit better but that was only a 2 mile ride..

I am very sure that changing to the stock ones will make a huge difference...best part is the seller paid for the shcoks and straps...I would have had to fork out another $1,000+ to go Arnott...leave that for the guy who buys it from me.
    Barry aka CanuckHoss